The European Centre for Minority Issues (ECMI) will hold a conference titled “International Human Rights Instruments and their Role in Combating Discrimination and the Protection of Minorities in the Eastern Borderland of the European Union”. The extended deadline of submission of applications is 23 January 2017.
The conference is organized within the framework of the ECMI Eastern Partnership Programme and will be held on 15-16 May 2017 in Kyiv, Ukraine. The organizers invite speakers from Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine to give a brief (up to 10 min) presentation within the thematic framework of the conference.
The ECMI calls for paper proposals on the following topics:
– Use of international mechanisms (including jurisprudence) for countering ethnic discrimination and for the protection of national minorities at the national level;
– Use of international (universal and European) mechanisms for monitoring the state of national minorities and manifestations of discrimination;
– Roma rights and international cooperation;
– Experience of training and educational programs for the promotion of international standards in combating discrimination and the protection of national minorities;
– Bilateral inter-state cooperation and the role of kin-states in combating discrimination and the protection of national minorities.
The ECMI invites governmental and municipal officials; members and employees of non-governmental organizations; researchers, teachers and students at MA and PhD level of educational institutions; and all other people concerned with the issues of equality and ethnic diversity from Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine to submit their proposals. Only proposals from people permanently residing in Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine will be considered.
Please send your electronic application in English or Russian to the ECMI staff members Alexander Osipov and Hanna Vasilevich to both emails: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application must include:
- the presentation title,
- an abstract (up to 300 words), and
- a brief (up to 300 words) biographical note about the author, including information on education, professional interests, and professional and social activities.
A sample of a biographical note can be found on the website of the ECMI Eastern Partnership Programme – http://ecmi-epp.org/?page_id=21.
The deadline of submission of applications is 23 January 2017 (extended deadline).
The ECMI reserves the right to select the applications; only selected applicants will be contacted by the organizers; the selection results will be announced by 1 February 2017.
The invited applicants will be requested to submit their papers by 31 March 2017 in English or Russian; the lengths of a paper shall not exceed 4 pages (Times New Roman; 1.5 line spacing; font size 12).
Organizers will cover travel expenses and accommodation in Kyiv, Ukraine, of the finally approved speakers. Accommodation will be provided only for the dates of the conference.